Sunday, February 20, 2011

The National Gallery

The type face of the logo for The National Gallery is very classic and simple. It seems to me very plain, but I understand that, because The National Gallery offers such a wide variety or artwork, it has to be a bit generalized. After viewing the collection, I would suggest adding some sort of symbol that represents England to make it a bit more exciting. I would also suggest altering the logo, as seen in many of the other museums we've visted, to make them more colorful and appropriate for those specific exhibits. It also seems a bit odd to me how the words in the logo have been arranged. I think it would look better if "The" was more centered and if "National" appeared larger than "Gallery" because it seems to be more of a key word. This type face doesn't have much creativity in it at all so some aspects of it could definately be improved.
 
In my opinion, the Van Gogh paintings do live up to their position in art history. I never had much of an appreciation of art prior to visiting these museums and seeing the paintings in real life. I thought the Van Gogh paintings were beautiful, but didn't understand the depth and detail that have been put into each one of these paintings. It was amazing to see the paintings up close and to see the brushwork and texture in every painting. I was also intrigued by the different techniques that were used for specific paintings. For example, in A Wheatfield with Cypresses he uses many swirls and a combination of colors that make the painting look abstract. Contrasting this painting, is Long Grass with Butterflies, which mainly uses straight lines and variations of green and it seems more realistic to me and closer to the actual colors in nature.
The object from the collection that would be suitable for my future home is The Water-Lily Pond by Claude-Oscar Monet. This painting is extremely detailed and I was amazed by how the close up detail and brushwork looked so different, and formed a full picture, once I backed up and observed the entire painting. I also find this scene and the colors to be very comforting and soothing. I would put this painting in my future summerhouse in my living room that overlooks the lake.

In my opinion, the color backgroups enhance the paintings. Because of the ornate and bold, gold frames, I feel the colored walls provide a nice contrast for the paintings. However, I do appreciate the white walls in other museums, such as the Tate Modern, because I think they help you to appreciate the painting without being distracted by the color and walls behind it. In the case of The National Gallery, the paitings are all outlined by bold frames that provide a divider between the painting and the wall color and the warm, bright walls help to enhance the beauty and colors in the paintings. I do not necessarily prefer one technique or the other, but I feel that the colors used in The National Gallery are more suited for this collection than that in the Tate Modern.
 
I feel that the use of objects from the collection to create merchandise diminishes the original work of art. Seeing famous works of art all over the place, such as on t-shirts, handbags, and coffee mugs, does not allow you to truly appreciate and get a full sense of the painting. I also assume that an artist would not appreciate their amazing and priceless artwork being displayed on such everyday items. However, I think that there are certain forms of merchandising that are more acceptable than others, such as the use of art work on post cards or printed in text books. This is because post cards are used as a way for people to appreciate the areas and experiences they have had in their life. Textbooks that display works of art are not able to capture their true beauty, but aim at informing the general public about these priceless works of art.
 
My favorite object from the collections is Sunflowers by Claude-Oscar Monet. This painting was completed in 1889 and is made up of a many dots and details that demonstrates a post impressionalism form of art. I would return to this object for greater contemplation because it struck me as remarkably beautiful with the different shades of yellows seeming to demonstrate a light and happy mood throughout the painting. I had seen and heard about this painting many times, but never fully appreciated it until I saw it in person at The National Gallery. The painting strikes me as abstract and yet realistic at the same time with the different colors and details within the flowers. I would return to this particular piece of artwork because of the amazing detail and brushworks that are visible within the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment